Friday, April 07, 2006

back to the basics: chapter 1

Back to the Basics, for my Tom, who loves salmon but only knows how to cook 2 things: jack and squat. :) He doesn't even own any pots and pans, but I'm going to get him on the right track. This is the easiest thing in the world to cook.

Tom, go to the store and get yourself a nice filet of fresh salmon. Make sure the flesh is firm and pink and doesn't smell too fishy.



I would say to use olive oil, since everyone keeps that in his pantry, but since you probably don't, I say go ahead and get yourself some sesame oil. It's got a great, intense flavor that goes really well with the fish.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Get a glass baking dish and pour a little oil in the bottom, just about a tablespoon. Tilt the dish around until the bottom is coated well so the fish doesn't stick. Lay the fish skin side down. Lightly prick the salmon with a fork, and drizzle just a little more oil on top. Add a teaspoon of minced garlic (also a staple, but it keeps well, so just buy a jar).



Squeeze 1/2 lemon over the top and then leave the lemon in the dish with the salmon. Add pepper and cook about 20-30 minutes, or however well you like it done. It should be able to flake easily with a fork.

Once it's almost done, drizzle a little honey on the top and pop it back in the oven on broil for about 2-3 minutes. It'll make a nice little crust on top.

I throw a few sesame seeds on top for crunch (and flair!) and serve as is, or with sauteed mushrooms and a caesar salad:



I can't wait to hear all about it! XOXOX

5 comments:

krysten said...

LOL! you may want to post a warning for chanelle on this one...since it has fish AND mushrooms!

i've recently come to the other side about mushrooms, however, and now quite enjoy them sauteed.

i'll just pretend you made baked chicken though. ;-)

hello jamie: said...

mushrooms in butter and white wine.... mmmmmmmm.

iamchanelle said...

KRYSTEN??!! mushrooms?? you have gone over to the dark side!!!

haha!

yeah, a scrolldown warning would have been helpful here...

:)

krysten said...

i KNOW! and raisins too...i'm ok with them now.

i'm TRYYYYYYYING to like tomatoes next. i've even had some VERY thin slices on my sandwiches lately.

but fish...i just dont think theres hope for for me.

Brain Diva said...

Nice tip with the honey. I have to try that.

I usually make my salmon with lemon juice and ginger. I may just have to try your way though.

I may some halibut fillet this weekend with marinade that has olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, and lemon in it. Yummy.